what vivid life moments?

A writing and memory exercise.

Here is my attempt to record some of those memories as completely as possible, the ones that pop into one's mind at unexpected moments. It could be something that happened years ago, an unimportant second from another lifetime, totally forgotten until now.

So here is my random diary of unimportant moments, we'll see how it goes.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

she had the Barbie-head, and I didn't

And that just sums it up.  I mean, doesn't it just?  The thing both horrified and fascinated me.  There has been a well-documented history of little girls torturing their barbie dolls, but this girl was already done for.  For those of you who don't remember, this was just a big, life-sized Barbie head, sitting there in front of you, and you got to do her hair and makeup.  Decapitated on a platter like that guy in the Bible story, and now she was going to look pretty!

Oh yeah, it was my cousin.  And I never ever would have gotten a barbie as a present.  Eveything was like that.  She had straight blond hair, I was messy brunette.  She had a pinball machine and ping-pong in her basement, wherease I had ghosts in my basement.  (this was my grandparents house: http://chathamhistory.org/archivehouses1l.html)

In a way, I still really want one, and in another way, it just reminds me of the Tower of London, where I nearly threw up and passed out as a kid when I saw the place where they chopped of the heads of those poor prisoners. 

I'm finishing up those last minute holiday gifts for my kids, and now I'm thinking I could probably find a toy guillotine online somewhere.  Don't you think my kids would just love that, and then their friends would be the ones who are jealous and traumatized!

No comments:

Post a Comment