what vivid life moments?

A writing and memory exercise.

Here is my attempt to record some of those memories as completely as possible, the ones that pop into one's mind at unexpected moments. It could be something that happened years ago, an unimportant second from another lifetime, totally forgotten until now.

So here is my random diary of unimportant moments, we'll see how it goes.

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Janis

There was an angel on tv, and her voice sang everything in the world that could ever be expressed and suddenly I never wanted to hear anything else and I had to find out who she was?  "Oh,"  said my mom, casually, "that was Janis Joplin.  She's dead."

That feeling again.  Growing up in the 80's, I felt like I had missed the boat.  We read the books and listened obsessively to the music of 15 years ago, most of them dead or done making good music.  Seeing Julian Lennon was a search for what his dad must have been like (sorry Julian.)  Seeing Jimmy Page's band "The Firm,"  where he at least did his cool bow/guitar thingie, but he explained he was getting old and they had to bring a chair out to the stage for him to sit down during one of his guitar solosThere were some exceptions of course, like the actual Grateful Dead, thank goodness I managed to catch the tail end of that.

I think I must have felt like that until I heard my first U2, the "Unforgettable Fire" album.  Then people like the Talking Heads and Sting, real quality stuff.  And now I know that I was really wrong, there has always been so much outstanding music, then and now, if you know where to look for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment